Friday, April 22, 2011

Fairness, Employer branding, and a sense of belonging for an alumni

When I got a cheque from Welingkar Institute of Management last week for difference in pay it felt really nice. It is only the second time in my 30 year career it has happened. Mr.Shetty of Kanara Advertising Service, Chennai was my first employer. Having secured a secure government job I moved on. On his next visit into town from HQ, he invited me to his hotel room and handed me a cheque of Rs.2000/.+  a neat sum in 1987. This was two months after I had quit and he said rather simply that he owed me that money.

Welingkar and Kanara Advertising. Now what about the rest ? Generally they paid me my regular dues and minimum of any thing else including terminal payments. Rank Aqua was where I spent 5 years and worked hard, however the owners felt that since they gave me a chance to see USA/Japan that was terrific compensation ( and I thought it as work!) . Anyway, agreed LTC, medical was not paid for two years and a couple of months salary was also not paid.
Another bitter experience was at TMG network which ran an Institute called COMMITS. It was my first job in teaching. I had another job offer and considering that the company was not regular in payments, asked if I can be relieved earlier sothat I could take up the other job. I was told that travelling to Chennai for admissions was very important and could I please complete that. Later the last months salary was not paid. Whether it was Mr.Rao of Rank Aqua or Mr Shubanjan Sarkar of TMG , one thing that struck me was that while they denied the employees, they made no change to their lavish lifestyle. If it was for a cause we were all fighting, I wuld have happily continued to work without or with very little pay, but then.

My recent experience with Nitte was also quite interesting. A good friend introduced me to the orgn as I had completed by Phd and looking for a job. The orgn had set up a new B school and needed a director ( as per AICTE requirements) It was a dream job to nurture a green field B school. I was asked if I was free to join immediately as there was an inspection  by AICTE. This was approx in late May of early June. Having signed all the papers and supported for two days with the inspection, was asked to report to work nearly 2 months later with no pay for the intrim!. The same happened when I quit. Even after I Quit, and was unemployed for a few weeks I remained on records in employment for the purpose of legal requirements, which is not a problem, however, it is sad that employer assumed that one can survive on fresh air both at the beginning of the assignment and at the end while their requirements, which was not much, still, needed me,

My best wishes and prayers are with all my employers for they gave me chance to work and pay to run a family. I am grateful to everyone, even those who denied me what was rightfully due.

Sorry about a long and personal note on the blog. I just hope it will prepare younger folks for a journey that is not necessarily smooth all along. Is there anyone I know who wants to share similar experience? 

No comments:

Post a Comment